The Way, the Truth and the Life (Jn 14:1-12)
Jesus, bring me to the heavenly mansion which you have prepared for me.
Picture Jesus teaching at the Last Supper.
The scene now shifts dramatically. Jesus is still in Jerusalem but no longer teaching the crowds. He has just completed the Last Supper and gives these extensive teachings only to his apostles.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Jesus said, “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father’s house, there are many mansions. If not, would I have told you that I go and prepare a place for you? I will come back and take you to myself, so that where I am, you also may be. Where I am going, you know the way.”
Thomas said, “Lord, we do not even know where you are going, how can we know the way?” Jesus said, “I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father, except through me.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- After speaking about his death, Jesus tries to calm the disciples’ fears.
- Jesus never wants our “hearts to be troubled.”
- The apostles must believe that his death will be their door into glory.
- Jesus has a place for them in heaven and he will come back for them.
- Without realizing it, they even know the way.
- Thomas’ question brings out the full revelation. Jesus is the way into the Father’s glory.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, how I need you to calm my fears.
- You always whisper in my heart, “Do not be troubled. Do not be troubled.”
- O Jesus, you have entered into glory. Carry me there in your heart.
- You will come back for me. I await you with great hope.
- I can even set out, because I know the way.
- You are the way and I will follow you.
- You are the fullness of all reality. You are all in all.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ In difficult moments, I will walk by faith’s light.
+ I will refuse to take any other road. Jesus is truth. All else is false.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation.)
Do not let your hearts be troubled. Have faith in me.