Salt and Light (Mt 5:13-16)
Lord Jesus, bless me so I can bless others. Enlighten me so I can show others the way.
Picture Jesus teaching his disciples.
Jesus uses 2 images (salt and light) to describe the good works of a true disciple. These works will manifest the Father’s goodness. Then others, who have no faith, will thank God. The images can also be negative. What if the salt loses its flavor or the light is hidden.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
You are the salt of the earth. However, if the salt loses its taste, how will it be salted? It is good only to be cast out and trampled underfoot.
You are the light of the world. Men do not light a candle and put it under a basket, but upon the lampstand so that it can shine for all in the house.
So your light must shine before men that they can see your good works and glorify your Father who is in heaven.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Jesus calls the disciples to a higher level of moral ideals. If they live this way, all human life will be different.
- If they do not, then they are useless and of no help to the world.
- Jesus is the light of the world but he shares this power with the disciples. They, too, must be a light in the darkness.
- They must not hide their light. Others must see their new lifestyle and embrace higher ideals.
- If they truly live as disciples, people will glimpse how the Father loves them. Then, the whole world will glorify God.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, help me live up to the demands of being your disciple.
- Change me. Make me new. Then, others will change.
- Let me live in the light. Make me a child of the light.
- I will not hide my goodness. I will not fear what others think.
- Let my goodness be a good example to those who walk in darkness.
- Let all the earth glorify God. This is my goal.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ I will read chapters five and six in Matthew’s gospel to discover what Jesus expects of me.
+ By my deeds and words, I will try to bring light to others.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation.)
Put your light on the lampstand to shine for all in the house.