Prayer: Jesus, bring forth your fruits in me.
Imagination Picture Jesus at the Last Supper
Context: Jesus begins a long discourse, which the apostles do not interrupt by any questions. In this text, Jesus uses the imagery of vine and branches, highlighting the necessity of the disciples’ union with Jesus.
Gospel Text (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
I am the true vine. My Father is the vinedresser. He takes away every branch in me that does not bear fruit. One that bears fruit, he will prune, so that it bears more fruit. You are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you.
Abide in me and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in me. I am the vine. You are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him bears much fruit. Without me you can do nothing.
Thoughts (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- The good fruit is a devout life that brings forth prayer and virtues.
- The Father (the vinedresser) does everything to gain fruit from the vine.
- If a soul brings forth good works he prunes it so it will bear more.
- Every branch must “abide”. A cut-off branch can bring forth no fruit.
- Jesus’ says it perfectly, “I am the vine. You are the branches.”
- His conclusion is self-evident. “Without me, you can do nothing.”
Affections. (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, you alone are the vine that gives life. I will abide in you.
- I once was a dead branch, but you have grafted me onto yourself. Now, I bear fruit.
- O Father, prune away all that is lifeless in me.
- O Jesus, I want to bring forth greater virtues pleasing to you.
- O Jesus, I only need to abide in you. Then, your life flows in me.
- With you, all things are possible. This is the secret of a fruitful life.
Resolutions (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will abide with Jesus by thinking of him often today.
- I will dedicate this whole day to Jesus.
Thought for the Day (To recall your meditation)
Whoever abides in me and I in him bears much fruit.