Prayer: O Jesus, reveal your presence in my life.
Imagination: (Picture the two disciples at table with Jesus.)
After Jesus instructs these two disciples, they invite him to stay with them. He celebrates Eucharist and “in the breaking of the bread”, their eyes are opened. They regain their dream and return to Jerusalem. There, they can begin again.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
Jesus said to the two disciples. “How foolish you are! How slow of heart to believe in all that the prophets said. Should not the Christ have suffered these things and so to enter his glory?” Then, beginning with Moses and the prophets, he explained all the scriptures that spoke of himself. As they came to Emmaus, he pretended to go on, but they said, “Stay with us, for it is late and the day is far spent.” He went in with them and when he was with them at table, he took bread, said the blessing, broke it and gave it to them. Their eyes were opened and they knew him. He, then, vanished from their sight.
They said to one another, “Were not our hearts burning within us while he spoke on the way and opened the scriptures for us.” At once, they returned to Jerusalem and told the eleven gathered there, who said, “The Lord is risen and has appeared to Simon”. They told them of all that happened on the road and how they knew him in the breaking of the bread.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
- In one sentence, Jesus dismisses their thinking. “How foolish you are.”
- His sufferings were no mistake. His death was no defeat. They led Jesus “to enter his glory.”
- The disciples regain enough hope to say “Stay with us. It is almost night.”
- When Jesus repeats the Last Supper, they recognize him in the breaking of the bread.
- Jesus vanishes, His work is complete. The disciples know that he has risen.
- They do not delay. They return immediately.
- They find a community which also believes that “He is risen.”
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Teach me, Lord for I am slow to believe.
- Explain the Scriptures and my heart will burn within.
- Stay with me, Lord. It is already dark. The night is at hand.
- At Mass, open my eyes to your presence.
- Give me back my dream, and I will resume my work.
- Place me with others who believe.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will attend mass as often as possible.
- I will recall my broken dreams and lost hopes. There is still time!
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
Their eyes were opened. They knew him in the breaking of the bread.