Prayer: O Jesus, restore my hope.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus with these two disciples.)
This is the longest story of any Easter vision and presents a model for
Christian initiation. In this first part we see the disciples’ sadness and dejection.
They are walking away from being disciples.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
Two disciples left Jerusalem to go to Emmaus, discussing all that had happened. Jesus joined them, but their eyes were kept from recognizing him.
“What are you discussing?” Jesus asked. Cleopas responded, “Are you the only one
in Jerusalem who does not know the things that happened?”
“What things?” Jesus asked.
“Concerning Jesus of Nazareth, a prophet powerful in word and deed,
before God and all the people. Our chief priests and rulers delivered
him to death and crucified him. We were hoping that he would redeem all Israel.
Also, this is the third day and some women of our group astounded us. Before dawn,
they were at the tomb. They did not find the body but said they had
seen angels who said he was alive. Some of our number went to the tomb. They found it just as the women said, but did not find him.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
- Without God, our happiness depends upon events that are outside of our control.
- These two disciples see only one choice. They leave Jerusalem and abandon their dream.
- In their despair, they cannot recognize Jesus. They can only talk about these events.
- Cleopas is even annoyed that this stranger doesn’t know what happened.
- The whole story seemingly ends in confusion. The tomb is empty. Angels have spoken. Some have seen the empty tomb but no one has seen Jesus.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, do not let external events control my life.
- Jesus, if I lose you, I will lose my dream.
- Draw near, Lord Jesus. My life is in shambles and all is in confusion.
- Stay with me, even if I do not recognize you.
- When life crushes all my dreams, you are my only hope.
Resolution: (Possibly you might want to make your own)
- I will place all my hope in the Risen Jesus.
- I will not abandon the dreams which Jesus has given me.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
We were hoping that he would redeem all Israel.