O Jesus, I will carry the good news to the whole world.
Picture the two women meeting Jesus.
This gospel has two quite different scenes. The women meet Jesus and he tells them to bring the good news to his disciples. In the second scene, a cover-up takes place. Bribes are paid so this good news remains hidden from the people. This battle will go on until the end of time. Only then will all see that Jesus is truly risen from the dead.
Gospel text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
- The women are overwhelmed with joy.
- They see an angel and then they experience the Risen Jesus.
- They are prepared to be messengers, the first to know and to tell the story.
- Many more visions will follow. Jesus will appear for forty days to prepare the disciples.
- The guards, too, had this experience. They could have become evangelists.
- They sell out. They take the money and close the door to truth.
- How many did they deprive of eternal life, themselves included?
- Lies can blunt the power of the gospel.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, I experience great joy at this story.
- Prepare me to be your evangelist. Come to me often.
- Remove all fear so I can follow you.
- O Jesus, you called even the guards to preach you, but the soldiers lost their vocation.
- Do not let me sell you out, no matter what the cost.
- O Jesus, I will tell your story to everyone.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ I will try to find moments of quiet, so Jesus can come to me.
+ I will be totally committed to the truth.