O Jesus, make me aware of your presence.
Picture Jesus standing on the shore at the Sea of Galilee.
Jesus had appeared to the apostles in Jerusalem on Easter Sunday and then to the doubting Thomas. This is the third recorded vision in John’s gospel. Since Jesus had promised to appear also in Galilee, the apostles return there and resume fishing. John carefully records the seven apostles who see the risen Jesus.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
- Peter is the leader. The other six are blessed by going with him.
- The Beloved Disciple (who wrote this gospel), is a witness to this event.
- Their natural knowledge and skill profit nothing. The nets are empty.
- Although they do not recognize this mysterious figure on the shore, they obey his words.
- This miracle reveals to the Beloved Disciple that “it is the Lord.”
- Peter believes the Beloved Disciple and plunges into the sea.
- Although the others arrive in a more conventional way, they, also experience Jesus’ third appearance.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, keep me united with Peter and the Church. This is how I will be blessed.
- Make me of one mind and heart with your other disciples.
- Speak to me, Lord. Show me where to fish.
- You stand on the shore and get my attention. O Jesus, you see all my difficulties.
- Give me the sensitive faith of the Beloved Disciple.
- Fill me with the enthusiasm of Peter.
- May I always experience your presence.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ I will join with others who search for Jesus.
+ I will listen to Jesus’ words.