Prayer – O Holy Spirit, reveal to me the mystery of Jesus.
Imagination – (Picture Jesus with his disciples.)
Jesus has just healed the boy with a demon. While the disciples are still amazed at this, Jesus shifts the focus to his death.
The warning falls on deaf ears. They have no idea of the mystery that lies ahead.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud).
In the middle of the disciples’ astonishment at all that Jesus did,
he said to his disciples, “Place in your hearts my words.
The Son of Man must be delivered into the hands of men.”
They failed to understand his words. It was so concealed from
them that they did not grasp it at all
and they were afraid to question him about this matter.
Thoughts (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Jesus’ display of powerful healings overwhelms the disciples. They cannot grasp the mystery of suffering.
- The disciples do not place Jesus’ words in their hearts. They want only his glory.
- Jesus reveals the hardest truth. He will be delivered over as a prisoner.
- The full impact of his words is lost. The disciples grasp nothing.
- The matter seems so unimportant that they do not bother to ask.
Affections (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, I will be a true disciple, always giving you my heart.
- Place your words in my heart and I will cherish them.
- Even when you speak to me of trials and sufferings. I will not walk away.
- Remove the veil that covers my mind so your words give me life.
- O Jesus, I will live by every word that comes from your lips.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will ask Jesus to speak to my heart.
- I will take to heart his gospel teachings.
Thought for the Day (To recall your meditation)
Place my words in your hearts.