Prayer: O Lord Jesus, to whom else shall I go?
Imagination: (Picture Jesus with his twelve apostles.)
Jesus has just finished his talk on the Eucharist, using the very explicit phrases “eat my flesh” and “drink my blood.” Some disciples could not accept this teaching. They walked away. Jesus now asks the Twelve. Peter answers that they will stay with Jesus. This is a very important text.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
Many of the disciples said, “This is a difficult saying, who can accept it?” But Jesus, knowing that his disciples were murmuring, said, “Does this scandalize you? What if you were to see the Son of Man ascending to where he was before? It is the spirit which gives life. The flesh profits nothing. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life. But there are some of you that do not believe.”
Jesus knew from the beginning the ones who would not believe and the one who would betray him. Jesus continued, “This is why I have said that no one can come to me, unless it is given to him by my Father.
From this time on, many of his disciples walked away. Jesus said to the Twelve, “Will you also go away?” Simon Peter answered, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of everlasting life. We have come to believe. We are convinced that you are God’s Holy One.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Jesus is hurt by the desertion of so many disciples.
- Their human intellects cannot grasp Jesus’ great spiritual gifts.
- If they cannot believe Jesus’ teaching about the Eucharist, how will they believe his ascending into heaven?
- Jesus gives everyone complete freedom. Even the Twelve can leave.
- Peter does not grasp everything. However, he knows that Jesus is the Anointed One. That is enough.
- He and the other apostles make the right decision, but Judas’ heart is not right.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, I am free. I can abandon you or stay with you.
- Draw me so I cling to you.
- My intellect is so small, Lord, and your mysteries are so great.
- O Jesus, you know my heart. I am weak but loyal.
- What a privilege to know that you are present in Holy Communion!
- You are the ascended Jesus who descends into my heart.
- If you don’t mind, Jesus, I will stay with you.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will deepen my friendship with Jesus by more frequent reception of Holy Communion.
- I will never abandon Jesus.
Thought for the day: (To recall your meditation)
Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.