Prayer: O Jesus, make me hunger for You, the bread of Life.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus teaching to the crowds.)
Context: These are among the most important verses in the New Testament because they
provide a clear teaching on the Eucharist and its power to give eternal life. They are precious to Catholics, explicitly teaching that the Eucharist is Jesus’
body and blood.
Gospel text (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
Jesus said, If anyone eats of this bread, he shall live forever. The bread that
I will give is my flesh for the life of the world. The Jews asked, “How can this
man give us his flesh to eat?” Jesus said, “Amen, Amen, I say to you, Unless you
eat the flesh of the Son of Man
and drink his blood, you shall not have life in you.
He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has everlasting life and I will
raise him up on the last day. For my flesh is food indeed, and my blood is drink indeed. He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood, abides in me and I in him. As the living Father has sent me and I live by the Father, so, whoever eats
of me will have life because of me.
This is the bread come down from heaven. Unlike your ancestors who ate and still died, whoever eats this bread will live forever. Jesus said these things while teaching in Capernaum.
Thoughts (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- The words are strikingly clear. This “bread from heaven” is Jesus’ flesh and blood.
- Jesus gives an unconditional promise. Whoever eats his flesh and drinks
his blood has everlasting life. Jesus will raise them up on the last day.
- Jesus also gives a warning. Unless the person eats his flesh and drinks his blood they will have no life.
- Jesus explains. By eating his body and drinking his blood, the person abides in Jesus, just as Jesus abides in the Father.
- Five times, Jesus teaches that His flesh and blood are the food come down from
heaven and that whoever eats will live forever.
- The message is so important that his disciples remember that He taught this at Capernaum.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, the Eucharist is your flesh and blood, and I am invited to your
- O Jesus, yourfood gives me eternal life.
- You will raise me up. Otherwise, I would perish forever.
- Abide with me. Live in me. Give me your life and I will live forever.
- O Jesus, your words are serious. If I do not eat this food, I will have no life with you.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will try to receive Eucharist every day.
- I will cherish this sacrament as the food of eternal life.
Thought for the Day (To recall your meditation)
Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood will live forever.