Prayer: O Jesus, prepare me for your coming.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus teaching his disciples).
As we arrive at the end of the Church’s liturgical year, the gospels concern Jesus’ Second Coming. The first part of this text describes the cosmic signs that will accompany Jesus’ coming at the end of the world. The second part shows Jesus preparing the disciples for that event. Their value is perennial.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Jesus said to his disciples, “In those days, after the tribulation, the sun will be darkened and the moon will not give its light. The stars of heaven will fall and the heavenly powers will be shaken. Then, men will see the Son of Man coming in the clouds with great power and glory. He shall send his angels and they shall gather his elect from the farthest ends of the sea and sky.
Now learn from the fig tree. When the branch is tender and the leaves come forth, you know that summer is near. So, when you see these things happen, you know that he is near, even at the door. Amen I say to you. This generation shall not pass away until all these things are accomplished. Heaven and earth will pass away but my words will not pass away.
As to the exact day and hour, no one knows, neither the angels in heaven, nor the Son. Only the Father.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Jesus describes the great tribulation. After that happens, Jesus will return.
- His coming ends the world. The sun, moon and stars no longer function. Their tasks are over.
- People will see Jesus, the Son of Man, coming toward the earth. The angels will gather the elect.
- Jesus has given many hints and signs. He even draws conclusions.
- People must take a hint from the fig tree, which blossoms quickly.
- All must prepare to meet Jesus.
- “No one knows”, means that people cannot prepare by some secret knowledge. They must be good disciples.
- Everyone can be ready if they live by Jesus’ teaching. Otherwise, they will not want Jesus coming back.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, whenever you come, I will be ready. I await you.
- O Jesus, I choose your Kingdom because this world will certainly end.
- I will see you, Jesus. You will come for me and reveal yourself to me.
- Your word does not pass away. It is my sure light.
- You are near, Jesus. You are at the door. No time is left. I choose you now.
- Gather me in. Send your angels.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will see the world as passing away.
- I will think of the moment when I will see Jesus.
Thought for the day: (To recall your meditation)
Men will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds.