The Final Command (Mt 28:16-20)
O Jesus, send me to the nations.
Picture Jesus on the mountain with his disciples.
This is Jesus final appearance to the disciples. Even now, some still doubt his resurrection. Even with their unbelief, Jesus chooses them as his messengers to preach to the whole world and to baptize the nations.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
The eleven disciples made their way to Galilee to the mountain where Jesus had summoned them. When they saw him, even those who doubted, did him homage.
Jesus said to them, “Full authority has been given to me both in heaven and on earth. Go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.
Teach them to observe all that I have commanded you. Know that I am with you all days, even to the end of the world.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- These eleven apostles are very important to Jesus. They are the foundations of his church.
- He is Lord and King and He summons them. This is a command performance.
- He calls them up the mountain, the symbol of man’s relationship with God.
- Many are still entangled in their doubts. What kind of preachers would they be?
- Seeing the Risen Jesus brings faith. They adore Jesus. Now, they are ready to preach.
- Jesus describes his new status. He is the Risen Lord, having all authority everywhere.
- He gives two commands. The disciples are to teach the people and to baptize them into the Church.
- What began on this mountain 2000 years ago continues to this day. Jesus is preached and people are baptized.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, I am important to you. You have a task for me.
- Summon me into your presence, Jesus. I will gladly come.
- O Jesus, you have all authority and all power.
- All must hear about you. I will tell the whole world.
- Make me your fervent disciple and I will make other disciples.
- Jesus, you do not pass away. Your authority is forever.
- You are with me, Jesus, stay in my heart.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ I will gladly be a disciple under Jesus’ authority.
+ I will try to make others his disciples.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation.)
I am with you always, even until the end of the world.