Prayer: O Jesus, send me the Holy Spirit who will teach me all things.
Imagination (Picture Jesus at the Last Supper with his apostles.)
Jesus has promised that the apostles would see him. In this text, he explains that this seeing will not be an external manifestation, but an internal, religious experience. These gifts are new and the Spirit will explain them. For now, they must be at peace.
Gospel Text (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Judas (not the Iscariot) said, “Lord, how is it that you will manifest yourself to us and not to the world?” Jesus answered, “If anyone loves me, he will keep my word and my Father will love him. We will come to him and make our abode with him.
These things I have spoken to you while I am still with you. But the Paraclete, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring all things to your mind, whatever I have told you.
Peace I leave with you. My peace I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled or be afraid.”
Thoughts (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- This is an important question, “Why does not the whole world see Jesus? Why does Jesus reveal himself only to these disciples?”
- Jesus and the Father are revealed internally. Only a disciple who loves God can receive this revelation.
- Keeping the commandments prepares the disciple’s heart to be God’s dwelling place.
- After coming to the disciple, Jesus will send the “Paraclete”, the Holy Spirit.
- This Spirit will teach and remind the disciples of Jesus’ teaching.
- The final result is a peace, which removes all fear from their hearts.
Affections. (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, what a great mystery! You manifest yourself to me but not to the world.
- If I love you, you and the Father will come and abide with me.
- O Jesus, send your Spirit into my heart. He will teach me.
- O Jesus, let your peace burst forth and flood my whole being.
- O Holy Spirit, how can I grow troubled when you abide with me?
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will treasure the presence of Father, Son and Spirit in my soul.
- I will seek quiet moments, so the Spirit can teach me.
Thought for the Day (To recall your meditation)
My Father and I will come and abide with him.