Prayer: O Jesus, I will glorify you by my love for others.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus at the Last Supper.)
Judas has just left the Last Supper. Only the eleven apostles remain. Jesus speaks of two great realities – he will glorify God by his obedient death and the apostles must love one another so all the world sees that they belong to Jesus.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
After Judas had left the Upper Room, Jesus said, “Now is the son of Man glorified and God is glorified in him. If God is glorifies in him, God also will glorify him in himself and immediately he will glorify him.
Little children, I will not be with you much longer. A new commandment I give to you. That you love one another. As I have loved you, you must also love one another. By this shall all men know that you are my disciples, that you have love for one another.”
Thoughts: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- When Judas left to betray him, Jesus knew that his death was inevitable.
- His obedient death is the way he will give glory to the Father.
- The Father will reciprocate. He will glorify Jesus in the resurrection.
- While all these events are happening, the disciples will feel abandoned.
- For a “little while” Jesus will be taken from them. He cannot do anything to avoid that suffering.
- They are ready for the greatest commandment, far beyond loving each other as they love themselves.
- They must love as Jesus loved them.
- This is the great sign to the whole world.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, teach me obedience to the Father.
- O Father, I, too, will glorify you and you will glorify me.
- O Jesus, how dark it is when you are absent.
- Let it be “just a little while”. Come back soon!
- Jesus, give me your Holy Spirit so I can love as you loved.
- Your love can change me and the whole world.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will imitate Jesus’ obedience to the Father.
- I will love everyone with Jesus’ love.
Thought for the day: (To recall your meditation)
I will not be with you much longer.