Prayer – O Lord, call me to be your child of light.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus teaching the crowds.)
This text contains three separate sayings of Jesus. The first saying envisions a Greek home with a light welcoming visitors. The second sentence points out that nothing is secret to God, all will be revealed. The third sentence describes a person who is receptive to God’s word,
and will receive more, and a person who will lose what little faith he has.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud).
Jesus said to the crowds, “No one lights a candle and covers it over with
a basket or places it under the bed. He sets it on the candlestick so
all who come in can see the light.
There is nothing secret that will not be made known and come to light.
Be careful, then, how you hear. To the man who has, more will be given. Whoever does not have will lose even the little that he thinks he has.
Thoughts (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Jesus describes three different situations.
- A person filled with faith should not hide his light, but make it available
so others will live by faith.
- A person who has dark secrets must learn to remove that darkness. God knows his evil and it will be revealed to all.
- A person must hear God’s word and receive it correctly, so he can receive more.
- Unless he safeguards the word, he will lose even what he has.
Affections (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, light the candle in my heart.
- Let my lamp lead others to you.
- Remove all darkness within me. Bring all my secrets into your light.
- I will treasure your word. It is your great gift.
- Let me receive your word and hold it securely.
- What a mystery. If I receive, then I get even more. Only you can be so generous.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- This day, I will walk in God’s light.
- I will root out the dark powers within me.
Thought for the Day (To recall your meditation)
There is nothing hidden that will not be revealed.