Prayer: O Jesus, let me always believe in You.
Imagination: (Picture John’s disciples questioning Jesus.)
John preached repentance and confession of sins. He expected Jesus to be even more fiery in his preachings. Instead, Jesus eats with sinners and opens the Kingdom to tax collectors. John wonders whether Jesus is the Messiah. Jesus points to all the healings as proof of his divine call.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
John’s disciples came to him and told him all that was happening in Jesus’ ministry. John sent two of them to Jesus. When they arrived, they asked him, “Are you the one who is to come, or do we look for another?” At that very hour, Jesus was curing many people of their diseases, sufferings and evil spirits. He also gave sight to many who were blind.
Jesus said, “Go and tell John what you have heard and seen. The blind see. The lame walk. The lepers are made clean. The deaf hear. The dead rise. The poor have the gospel preached to them. Blessed is that person who finds no stumbling block in me.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- John sits in prison, his life’s work almost completed.
- He is filled with doubts. Was he correct in pointing out Jesus as the Messiah?
- He has an important question. Are you the Messiah? Are you the one who is to come?
- Jesus presents all the evidence. He heals the blind, the lame and the lepers. Even the dead rise and testify to Jesus.
- The gospel does not record the effect of these words upon John or his disciples.
- The story is meant to help us to believe.
- God will always do things God’s way. Do not be scandalized by God’s plan.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, in my doubts, I will come to you.
- Jesus, You present all the evidence. I know you are the Messiah.
- You heal. You cure. You raise from the dead.
- I will be still. I will watch for you.
- When you finish your work in me, I will understand what you are doing.
- Do your work in me. I will await your touch.
- You are not a stumbling block. You are the way to the Father. I will not be scandalized.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will ponder the evidence in the gospels.
- I will believe in Jesus, no matter what happens.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
Go and tell John all that you have seen and heard.